Friday, August 12, 2011

Why is life so complicated?

I was adopted as an infant. I only met my biological mother 4 years ago, when I was 30. I know how lucky I am to even know who she is, let alone to have already met her. But I get a very bad vibe from her. I don't know how to explain it. This 'feeling' I get has led me to keep her out of my life, and my families life, for about 3 years.

She has another daughter who I am facebook friends with. We kind of keep in contact that way. Today I got an actual email from her. The email was explaining that our mother was taking care of her Mother's (my bioligical grandmother) estate. Due to this, and since I was being listed as a beneficiary, our mother was asking my half-sister to ask me for my social security number (Phew! Confused yet?)

This is weird, right? I don't really want to have anything to do with this woman, and haven't for almost 3 years, and now she's asking for my social security number. Something just doesn't seem right. Am I just reading too much into this?

Whatever portion is supposed to be mine, I would rather it just go to her other daughter. I've told her this before, apparently she's not taking my feelings into consideration. What should I do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an uncomfortable situation! I think you should trust your feelings; we get those vibes for a reason! If it were me, I would just say, "I'm sorry. I'm not comfortable giving you that information." And it would SUCK because I would expect some sort of unpleasantness in result, but it's better than having your identity stolen!! There have been isntances in my family where parents have opened various accounts in their grown-children's names and run up a bunch of debt, so you could very well be getting that bad feeling for a reason! Good luck with this awful situation!
Doing My Best

Mrs. Commoner said...

Thanks for the input. I emailed my half-sister and let her know that I wouldn't be providing the number and why.